[trash-talk] the great jt leroy bomb finally drops

Stefanie Schwartz skull at spastica.net
Tue Jan 10 17:52:41 PST 2006

it's the weirdest thing - having continually emailed and finally having met
jt, shook his hand, been to the readings, seen this person and totally
having understood why so many people (famous and otherwise) fell in love
with him - one can't help feeling enormously betrayed.  the stories were
meant as works of fiction, but what made them so appealing was knowing that
at the core, there was a real character.  people fell in love with the idea
of jt, and as works of pure fiction they are just not the same.

elfi, remember in 2003 when we went to that reading at the coral room and
before the event started, we all  met up with speedie / Emily Frasier /
laura albert so you and vitalie could get to the hotel room? I remember her
accent kept coming in and out but I attributed it to her having been in this
country for so long.  anyway one of you made an offhanded comment about jt
being difficult and she replied, "psch.  try living with him."  for some
reason that always stuck out in my mind and it takes on a much weirder
meaning now.

I only have to look at the photos of ms knoop once to know that the person
in those pictures is definitely the person I met.

this is also the greatest literary hoax of our time. in hindsight it all
makes complete sense.

  _____