[Trash-talk] Why the hostility?

Justin Scott jmscott42 at spamcop.net
Sat Mar 5 14:11:05 PST 2005

Wow.. there seems to be a bit of hostility.... I happen to agree that we aren't
OWED anything by the band... at least in the sense of personal information.
We've been really spoiled for a long time by Shirley writing her every little
thought down and posting it for the world to read. How many other bands, at
Garbage's level of popularity, do that? None... or very, very VERY few. (at
least not to the extent Shirley did).

I'm really shocked by all the info coming out, especially since I thought it was
always the plan for this to be the last album anyway (I vaguely remember
everyone thinking they would get about 4 good albums out of it).  It surprises
me the band got so miserable they could barely make this album. In some sense,
it would've been nice to have gotten some hint there were issues, but they
obviously worked through them and produced the album. It might even make a
BETTER album (some claim tension helps creativity)...

As for Shirley's marriage.. that is totally none of our business. I can
completely understand why she didn't want to publicize anything before she had
to. Garbage has been so under the radar for a few years she was able to take
advantage of that and maybe get her life a little bit back in order before
facing the press. When you break up with your significant other, is the first
thing you want to do run and scream it on the top of your lungs that you've
broken up? Probably not (unless the ex was a TOTAL psycho!) And from all
accounts, Shirley and Eddie had an incredibly tight emotional bond. Whatever
caused that to dissipate must have been horrendous for all involved.

That all said... everyone has the right to their opinion, and I think being
openly hostile seems a bit of a strange reaction.

But with any luck, the difficulties are behind us... the band IS together, an
album IS coming, there IS a tour. They owe us a good show and good tickets for
our $20... and not much else...