[Trash-talk] Von Bondies @ the Casbah (concert review - NGR)

blisteringheat blisteringheat at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 29 16:23:08 PST 2004

The first act, a local punk band called the Heartaches, stole the show.
They had the front room packed and jumping, which for an opener is quite a
feat. Usually everyone is in the back room playing pool and smoking during
the first band. They played '70s style punk, a cross between the Stooges
and New York Dolls. A blistering and ferocious set.

Next up were Dance Disaster Movement. It almost was a disaster as there was
an initial problem with the keyboards, and since all they had were
keyboards and drums it didn't look good. But they got it fixed and the show
went on. They are a duo, with one member playing keyboards and bit of
guitar and bass and also doing most of the vocals and the other on drums.
Their music reminded me of a more energetic Talking Heads or lighter and
louder Joy Division. The keyboardist would often jump into the crowd and
start doing some funky dance, and I kept thinking "if only Alan was here!"
because I just knew he would have joined right in.  :)

The Von Bondies played a solid if unspectacular set. They didn't seem to
really hit their stride until the end of the main set. Highlights were
definitely Pawn Shoppe Heart and a raucous cover of Rock 'N Roll Nurse.
Mostly they stayed faithful to their studio renditions which I've always
thought is a dull way to do things. I've read some great reviews of their
shows, so I was a little disappointed in their performance.

** out of ***

pongo

when did i get perverted
i can't remember your name
i'm growing introverted
you touch my hand but it's not the same...