[Trash-talk] OT/NGR: Why I don't want to visit USA, ever, any more

wilson king garbagebase at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 16:47:42 PST 2004

> > The "War on terrorism" is as much of a farce as the
> > "war on drugs" here
> > in America... what these policies do is nothing
> > short of stripping
> > normal citizens of many of their (our!) basic rights
> > and civil
> > liberties.  And incarcerates those who do not fit
> > the mold.  And leaves
> > regular citizens living in fear of being arrested
> > for excercizing the
> > constitutional right to gather and to protest...
>
> What?  Plenty of people protest.  What are you doing
> right now? :D

An email dialogue certainly isn't protest. Remember the WTO meetings in
Seattle a few years back?  Well 100's of people just got a settlement
from the state government in a suit they filed that they were illegally
arrested and detained. They won!

Just today protesters outside of San Quentin prison were arrested while
staging a peaceful protest against an upcoming execution scheduled for
next week.

Two months ago in Miami peaceful protesters were arrested while
demostrating against the fair trade talks going on there.

When Bush visited MLK's grave a week or so back, the secret service set
up a "free speech zone" far away from where the president would be, and
any/all protesters had to stay in that area, completely away from press
coverage and the president himself.  People with protest signs who left
the "free speech zone" and tried to get closer to the action were
arrested.   Isn't the entire country supposed to be a free speech
zone???  I guess everywhere except within a 1/2 mile radius of the
president.  Now you're in repressed speech zone.....

> > This new US VISIT policy looks to be another step
> > towards alienating
> > the rest of the world, even moreso than already is
> > the case.  Just look
> > at how much rage there was in the streets of London
> > when Shrub (I mean
> > Bush) was there a few months back... the world is
> > outraged by this man,
> > and I hope and pray that my fellow citizens will do
> > the right thing and
> > vote him OUT this November.
>
> This new policy is kinda pointless, any real terrorist
> is already here or can easily cross our completely
> unprotected borders with Mexico or Canada.

Exactly!!! Even with all the increased airport security and stuff, our
borders are huge and easy to penetrate.

> > It's also kind of sad that people in other
> > countries, like Poland, seem
> > to have a better understanding of what is happening
> > here in the US then
> > many Americans..... like when Homer Simpson picks up
> > the USA Today and
> > the big headline is simply "Everything is OK!"  yeah
> > right....
>
> Ignorance is international.
>
> > Bush is evil. The Bush administration is evil.
>
> No he's not.  Evil is a very strong word.  Murderers,
> rapists and child molesters are evil.  You may
> disagree with his policies (like I definitely do), but
> he is not "evil".

>From dictionary.com:

e·vil  ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (vl)
adj. e·vil·er, e·vil·est

Morally bad or wrong; wicked: an evil tyrant.

Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful: the evil effects of a poor
diet.

Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous: evil omens.

Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous: an evil reputation.

Characterized by anger or spite; malicious: an evil temper.

I believe all of the above apply to our current president and his
administration. I do get your point about 'radical left wingers' like
Michael Moore making those in the middle shy away from the left though.

But regardless of whether or not you agree with him or his approach to
the politcal system, do take a few moments to read what he has up on
his website right now. Among other things there are documented sources
which detail Bush's AWOL status from the Texas Air National Guard. This
is not a baseless allegation but rather a documented fact.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/

> When this kind of hyperbole is thrown around so
> lightly, no one will take it seriously.  In fact I
> think it does the movement to un-elect Bush a
> disservice.  The silent majority of voters out there
> are centrists (like myself) don't take that kind of
> partisan rhetoric seriously and are turned off by such
> left-wing radicals such as the moveon.org and Michael
> Moore crowd that compare Bush to Hitler.  That big

moveon.org never compared Bush to Hitler.

=====
http://www.moveon.org
http://www.democracynow.org
http://news.bbc.co.uk