[Trash-talk] Voodoo Glow Skulls @ the Troubadour (concert review, NGR)

blisteringheat blisteringheat at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 25 11:17:27 PDT 2003

Wow what a party. For those unfamiliar with this So Cal punk outfit,
they're sort of like Oingo Boingo on heavy doses of speed with a dash of
Marilyn Manson. From the first note to the last it was just non-stop
jumping, moshing, crowd surfing and stage diving. I've rarely seen so many
people (the band and crew included) having such a good time. I thought I
was the total dork because I realized after a while that I had this stupid
smile plastered on my face from the get go (I couldn't help it!) but then
when I looked around I saw that that was pretty much everyone. This was my
first time seeing the Glow Skulls, and unfortunately they're headed to
Europe and then into the studio so it will be awhile before I get to see
them again. But see them again I will.

Main setlist, in order: Human Pinata / Insubordination / Charlie Brown /
We're Back / Delinquent Song / Voodoo Anthem / Shoot the Moon / One 4 the
Road / El Coo Cooi / Bullet Proof / Ethnic Cleansing Day / Los Hombres /
Mas Chingon / Steady As She Goes / Dogpile / Misfit Toys / Say Goodnight /
Band Geek Mafia // ...

There were three supporting acts: the Pietasters, the Independents, and
Codename: Rocky. The Independents and Codename: Rocky were excellent. The
Pietesters, who the Glow Skulls opened for on the East Coast, were
disappointing. Barenaked Ladies crossed with Blink. Not pretty.

*** out of ***

pongo

when did i get perverted
i can't remember your name
i'm growing introverted
you touch my hand but it's not the same...