[Trash-talk] LA concert review: Lou Reed (NGR)

blisteringheat blisteringheat at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 23 18:24:25 PDT 2003

The coolest man in the universe played the historic Wiltern Theatre
tonight. He came on stage around 8:30 and played for 2 hours and 45
minutes! In the set were quite a few Velvet Underground gems: Sweet Jane
(an extended version which he opened with); Venus In Furs(!); Sunday
Morning; All Tomorrow's Parties; Candy Says; A Perfect Day; and a searing
rendition of Heroin that closed the night. I never thought I'd hear that
one live, and it was just spectacular. Other highlights were Dirty
Boulevard and a spine tingling reading of Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven".
When he and the band came out for the first of three encores, he made
security throw out a group of guys near the front who were being typical LA
concert goers and talking incessantly during the show. "Get these goddamn
dickless motherfuckers out of here! Give them their money back, I don't
give a fuck." His New York accent became heavier as he was going off, which
was nearly worth the price of admission by itself. Loooooooooou!

pongo

when did i get perverted
i can't remember your name
i'm growing introverted
you touch my hand but it's not the same...