[Introspective] Intro alive and kicking...

Gilles G. gilles.gen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 15:28:17 PDT 2007

hi all,

just another two cents from another old-timer (if you would consider so a
subscriber since late 1999 - the release of "nightlife" somewhat coincided
with the beginning of my internet activity - that never unsubscribed and
still reads about everything posted here).

with a few days delay, because like erik I have way too much to do IRL, at
work and outside, to spend as much time on the web as I used to several
years back - and that's also the reason why I don't participate in online
forums, except the french PSB one.

I just wanted to say that I totally agree with what johan and erik
(undoubtedly old timers) have written.
lydia annoys me, jeff/aloysius makes me smile, and that's it. who cares,
really? people come and go, true things remain. and I couldn't possibly be
affected by sthg that would be said online by someone I've never met and
will never meet, like pierre recently wrote (I also join his point).

btw, pierre is a friend of mine IRL and we got to know each other thanks to
intro, witnessing we were two members working at the same place back then,
with the same e-mail extension. it was in november 1999 and we've been
friends ever since, sharing a common passion for music, PSB and far beyond.

this is surely not the only example, so intro has also served to create
friendships over the years, and it's clearly a special place for me and
always will be.
long live this list to which I will always remain faithful, and go on with
flame-wars, that's so funny if you have a genuine sense of second degree...

cheers from belgium,
gilles

2007/8/25, Johan <johan at ostergaard.org>:

> I agree that the flame wars ruined Introspective, but I think in actual
> fact
> there was only really one person doing almost all of the flaming and that
> was Jeffrey Durst - he wrote about 5 posts (most of them harsh personal
> attacks) every time somebody else wrote one. Since the list moderator did
> not intervene, he made about half the list members unsubscribe and the
> other
> half shut up. This combined with the upshot of the web forum and the well
> combed 'Petheads' mailing list shut down Introspective in my opinion. Oh
> well, at least it went out in flames rather than just fading away :-)
>
> I do rather enjoy Jeffrey's ramblings in a way - as trolls go he is at
> least
> doing it with some wit and style - but it's a shame that he was allowed to
> single-handedly close down a long time well-functioning list, and it
> should
> also be noted that on occasions he has crossed the line between innocent
> internet harassment and downright illegal threats and libel against
> members
> of this list and the web forum.
>
> It will be interesting to see if James Lick - who or whatever he is -
> decides to actually take action this time, as I remember he wrote that he
> would some years back. Until then, of course, as you point out, it should
> be
> fairly easy for those who are offended or bored by Aloysius/Jeff to simply
> put him in the junk folder or create a rule that automatically deletes his
> mails (In Outlook, go to Tools->Rules and alerts and create a new rule
> that
> looks for his name in the sender of the mail and automatically deletes it
> or
> puts it in the junk folder).
>
> Anyway, it's nice to see that so many people stayed here after all - this
> list was such an important part of my initiation to the whole internet
> business that it still has a special place for me - even if we've all
> grown
> up now and probably don't have as much time to spend on PSB or mailing
> lists
> these days as back in those days :-)
>
> Johan

"and they say you're doing fine
they're just playing with your mind
and they never even know your name
but they all want you to shine
to glitter all the time
they all want a little taste of champagne"
--- marc almond, "the tenement symphony", 1991 ---