[Introspective] Performance DVD / Region 0?

John Turpin justified_type at mac.com
Sun Sep 12 11:42:17 PDT 2004

At 9:10 AM -0400 9/12/04, Régent Champigny wrote:
>So my questions are:
>
>1. I have a Mac - system 10 - could I possibly play the DVD on my system?
>2. Does anyone know if a Region-1 (NTSC) version will be released?
>3. If so, when?

Well, the region coding won't be a problem, as "Region 0" discs are playable in any DVD set anywhere. The PAL thing is the issue... and for whatever it's worth, I can play the "I Get Along" UK DVD in my Mac with OS X with no problem.

I bought a hacked DVD player from http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/ for the purpose of playing European DVDs, and I look forward to testing it out... Some current US DVD players will play PAL to NTSC TVs with decent results, but will get tripped up by region coding.

There is a report on Macs and DVDs at http://www.macintouch.com/dvdcapture03.html that may help with video standard issues.

  John Turpin / justified_type at mac.com
 "Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning
  It shows the world that you've got substance and depth" -- PSB