[Introspective] non-album versions in PERFOMANCE

Michael Trost Michael.Trost at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Oct 18 06:38:33 PDT 2004

"I wanted more
remix, extended versions.... everything was a note-for-note album
version.  It was the stage show that was brilliant."

Hmm, but weren't there some versions exclusive to this tour?
I am thinking of
- WHIDTDT? which was performed in the Disco mix-style,
- Neal performing So sorry, I said
- the background singers performing MOS and Rent (Liza's version)
- the combined 7"/remix version of WAFBITD
- the 7" remix version of HCYETBTS including the extra rap
- the snippets of TMBTPIWYTL inbetween the songs
- a somehow different sounding version of opportunities, somehow a mixture of
the 1st and 2nd single version
- Always on my mind with accoustic guitar intro
- your funny uncle with guitar solo instead of first verse, with a different
ending (ok, not really a remix but a live version...)
- the live version of Being Boring with no vocals and no music at all ;-)
- No vocals on CTMYOY on the first release due to copyright problems

When I recall it correctly, when I saw them in Dortmund on the performance
tour, during Jealousy there must have been a problem with the sequencers for
they played the ending without the orchestra. Sounded different but quite
boring...

in total quite a lot of differences.

But I agree, I like the remix-appraoch of the nightlife tour better as well
(the new versions of BB and only the wind sound great, and also on the release
tour they did interesting new versions of songs like Red letter day, NYC Boy
or LCQ, adding those guitars).
At the time of the performance tour I guess it was still ok to play the
original versions, people probably wanted to hear West end girls the way they
knew it when it was only the second time (and for a lot of people the first)
one had the opportunity to see the boys live.
Today, I wouldn't like to attend a concert where they still use the quite
outdated playbacks of the 80s. I think they should have started programming
more modern sounding versions as early as the discovery tour.
For example I saw a broadcast of a recent Erasure concert and they actually
used the original playbacks of all the album's versions - and it sounded just
like a karaoke show!