[Introspective] pet shop boys come in at three

royboy rtapping at btopenworld.com
Wed May 7 15:15:48 PDT 2003

When it comes down to it, it's a toughie trying to
decide which song is greater than another. After all,
we all like different things. Some of us think The
Beatles' Hey Jude is one of the best tunes ever
written, while some of us really, really do think Take
Your Shoes Off by the Cheeky Girls is a belter!

Well, now all the arguments can stop once and for all!
Why? 'Cos popular website Popjustice has revealed what
its readers think are the best songs ever written.

Surprisingly, Dead Or Alive's 80s dancefest You Spin
Me Round has been voted The Greatest Song Ever, Ever
Written. Honest! The ancient dance tune (which,
coincidentally, is released in a new remixed form next
week) pipped the likes of Kylie's Better The Devil You
Know, Take That's triumphant Back For Good and
Britney's Baby One More Time to the top spot.

The full top ten, which will be listed in the first
issue of Popjustice's magazine later this month, looks
a little like this...

1. Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)
2. Kylie Minogue - Better The Devil You Know
3. Pet Shop Boys / Elvis Presley - Always On My Mind
4. Take That - Back For Good
5. Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head
6. Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
7. Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time
8. New Order - Blue Monday
9. David Bowie - Heroes
10. Abba - The Winner Takes It All

The brains behind the site, the elusive Popjustice, is
thrilled with the choice and told us: "You Spin Me
Round is stupid and decadent and sophisticated and
daring and funny and welcome on any dancefloor around
the world, much like Pete Burns' shoe collection.
Without You Spin Me Round, Stock Aitken & Waterman
wouldn't have become huge. Without Stock Aitken &
Waterman there would have been no Kylie. Without Kylie
there would have been no Can't Get You Out Of My Head.
And without Can't Get You Out Of My Head there would
have been no 2003 remix of You Spin Me Round. It's a
record so great that if Popjustice.com users hadn't
legitimately voted it the Greatest Song Ever, Ever
Written the chances are we would have fixed the poll
to appear as if they had. All great pop songs should
make you want to sacrifice your integrity."

If you fancy hearing a lot more of Dead Or Alive,
you're in luck. Pete Burns and gang release their
greatest hits Evolution later this month which
features all their hits including a corking remix of
Turn Around And Count To Ten!

And if you wanna get your hands on a copy of the
Popjustice magazine, visit the site yourself at www.popjustice.com