[Introspective] Neil Tennant in i-D magazine

Carlos E Restrepo cer202 at nyu.edu
Wed Jul 30 01:18:15 PDT 2003

The August issue of i-D magazine gives out a set of questions to various celebrities to answer. Here are Neil Tennant's answers:

Neil Tennant

The thing about fame is....it makes you feel very exposed. But I’m not really famous so it doesn’t bother me. The Pet Shop Boys are more of a brand name than personally recognisable. No problems on the street, man. Jus the occasional “My mum really likes you.” Which is quite nice, really.

The thing I love most about what I do is....making something. And the constant collaboration.

People might be surprised to know that I....really like hippie food – brown rice and lentils and all that. I mean, I am an old Incredible String Band fan.

The most important thing I’ve ever learned is....follow your instincts.

I wish when I started off I’d been told that....Harvey Goldsmith was going to go bankrupt. (Owing us a small fortune.) Unfortunately this taught us that loyalty is not always respected or returned.

The worst thing that ever happened to me was....a bad acid trip in 1974.

And what this taught me was....not to take acid.

The happiest moment of my life was....one night in Santiago, Chile, in 1994. There’s a photograph of it taken outside a club. It looks like a scene from Fame.

The secret to happiness is....halfway between freedom and commitment. And a constant awareness of possibilities.

My best-ever outfit consisted of....oh, just a great suit. They don’t seem to come along that often.

My perfect Saturday night consists of....wandering round a foreign city in the summer with friends. Who knows what waits round the next corner?

The soundtrack to my life would include....Metamorphosen by Richard Strauss, Computer Love by Kraftwerk and Dusty in Memphis.

If I was invisible for a day I’d....turn into the most appalling voyeur.

The thing that makes me most angry is....lying and cruelty. Therefore much of the media and politics.

If I was the most powerful person on earth I’d....abolish all weapons, from little handguns to the full mass destruction bollocks.

The best/worst thing about family is....giving love/being tribal.

When I’m gone they’ll probably say....”I can’t believe he was a judge for the Turner Prize.”

If money was no object I’d....buy insane amounts of art.

When I retire I would like to....combine peace and quite with moments of genuine excitement and glamour.

The world would be a much better place if....all weapons were abolished and a different source of energy other than oil predominated.

My hero is....I don’t have heroes.

The thing that makes my life worth living is....it’s a very enjoyable life, actually.

My greatest hope for the future is....that some ancient Soviet nuclear weapon doesn’t fall into the hands of some prat who decides to use it.

Neil Tennant is one half of the Pet Shop Boys, who are currently writing new songs for their Greatest Hits album in November on Parlophone.