[Introspective] Re: The "Definitive Ratings"

The Virtual One mats-bjo at dsv.su.se
Thu Jul 3 21:18:53 PDT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Pierre wrote:

> introspective-request at tcp.com wrote:
> >
> > I have to disagree Ali.  It is the only "definitive guide" that has
> > ever been made that gives us all an idea of where all PSB songs rank to
> > a collection of fans.  I think it also does say a lot about the
> > "general quality" of all PSB songs, which is why Being Boring is number
> > one and The Sound of the Atom Splitting is in last place.
>
> I won't read any further. Any process (however scientific) which rates
> TSOTAS as the worst PSB song ever is fatally flawed (not to mention LIAC
> as the worst song on Release.... I can't believe some people). But I do
> agree that Wayne's rating campaign is a very interesting indication of
> what the "average" PSB fan likes. And it fuels some arguing and
> bickering, which is always great. But I wouldn't go as far as saying it
> gives an indication of overall 'quality'. TSOTAS is not a bad song, it's
> just a song which departs from the usual PSB sound, which explains why
> it is hated by some and loved by others. It's for me one of the two
> highlights of Alternative CD1.

I would agree if I just could get myself to call 'The sound of the atom
splitting' a song instead of 'computers making a terrible noise' ;-)

/Mats, fully understanding why it ended last, and probably never ever will be
surpassed by another PSB-track...

                    *   Mats Bjorkman,  Head of sales!   *
                                   - - - - -
                               mats-bjo at dsv.su.se
      http://www.dsv.su.se/~mats-bjo and http://www.thepetshopboys.co.uk
                      ICQ: 2881021 / GSM: +46 70 730 07 80
                                   - - - - -
             'Because you dance to disco, and you don't like rock'