[Introspective] Re: The "Definitive Ratings"

Pierre s931615 at student.ulg.ac.be
Thu Jul 3 18:17:17 PDT 2003

introspective-request at tcp.com wrote:

> I have to disagree Ali.  It is the only "definitive guide" that has
> ever been made that gives us all an idea of where all PSB songs rank to
> a collection of fans.  I think it also does say a lot about the
> "general quality" of all PSB songs, which is why Being Boring is number
> one and The Sound of the Atom Splitting is in last place.

I won't read any further. Any process (however scientific) which rates
TSOTAS as the worst PSB song ever is fatally flawed (not to mention LIAC
as the worst song on Release.... I can't believe some people). But I do
agree that Wayne's rating campaign is a very interesting indication of
what the "average" PSB fan likes. And it fuels some arguing and
bickering, which is always great. But I wouldn't go as far as saying it
gives an indication of overall 'quality'. TSOTAS is not a bad song, it's
just a song which departs from the usual PSB sound, which explains why
it is hated by some and loved by others. It's for me one of the two
highlights of Alternative CD1.

--
Pierre