[Introspective] disco3

The Virtual One mats-bjo@dsv.su.se
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:45:35 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, r o y   m i c h a e l   t a p p i n g wrote:

> > > And another thing, is this the end of the PSB single?  Three from
> Nightlife,
> > > two from Release...?
> >
> > Just because London didn't get released in the UK doesn't make it less
> > of a single, does it? - most of Europe had it released...
> >
> > /Mats
>
> Um, in short, I'm not sure.
>
> Sorry, as far as I knew, it was a German only release and it charted in
> other countries simply because of it being imported there.  Is that
> incorrect?

Yes it is incorrect, it was a native release around Europe (Denmark, Finland,
Holland, Germany etc.) - it's also a Holland pressing, it doesn't exist as a
German such.

> Nonetheless, London only received a limited release and was not released in
> the home country of the artist.  That says a lot to me.  I remember when Pet
> Shop Boys had complete autonomy.  Now it seems they have to do what EMI tell
> them.  I have no idea what goes on in record companies, the relationships
> they have with their artists or the politics involved, but isn't this rather
> worrying?  Are Pet Shop Boys about to be dumped by EMI?

But - hello - there's thousands of American artists that gets nothing else
than a promo-single released in the US and official releases around the rest
of the world - of course it still counts as a single to that artist even though
the common man can't buy a physical copy of it in the states! - I mean, the
person living in Germany that buys the piece of plastic that it's pressed on
in the record store would still count it as a single too, wouldn't he/she??? -
And don't fear - an artist can easily survive even though the home-audience
might care nothing for him/her/them - there's several Swedish artists that are
HUGE in Japan, and we've barely heard of them here!

/Mats

                *   Mats Bjorkman,  Spare Time Investigator   *
                                   - - - - -
                               mats-bjo@dsv.su.se
      http://www.dsv.su.se/~mats-bjo and http://www.thepetshopboys.co.uk
                      ICQ: 2881021 / GSM: +46 73 736 5009
                                   - - - - -
             'Because you dance to disco, and you don't like rock'