[Introspective] D3

Zdenek Stanka s.zdenek at volny.cz
Sun Feb 9 13:12:15 PST 2003

Oh, no I didn't jump to conclusion - or at least I didn't want to...:) And I
didn't want to make any profile of you either - so sorry if I did! I wrote
about the "fans who *found themselves* or started to listen to...". I really
feel there are such groups among us and it's not meant to be any "judging"
statement. If you feel to be a 'part' of an other "section" or no "section"
at all I have no reason not to believe you. :)

> That's no
> problem, although
> I do note that some arguments have been started on this list before by
> people mischaracterizing other fans' points of view.

I'm afraid you're doing this right now, aren't you? :))

But we won't start any argument, will we??? ;)

> Whenever anyone
> criticizes Release, for example, somebody flies off the handle and starts
> denouncing the critic for only liking dance music. One need not like dance
> music to find some flaws in Release (although I personally like Release a
> lot).

Hmm, you're definitely right here - I've noticed this as well.

> I called D3 a minor work b/c it is -- it's not a full album, it's a
> collection of crap remixes, leftovers from the last few years' worth of
> sessions (the Zippel stuff), two new recordings of very old (but
> unreleased)
> songs, and one entirely new song. You're right thought that it is
> debateable
> whether SEB and ILCK are more characteristically PSB than IGA.
> I'd say they
> are b/c they're more in the style that has always been associated with the
> Boys.

I don't agree. It's too much general IMO. *Who* associates this kind of
songs with the Boys??? I don't (and am not alone), you do (and are not
alone, too) - and that's why I talk about those "groups of different
opinions".

> Anyway, I suppose my point is that on Disco 3 the Boys sound less
> self-conscious and less tired, more confident.

Absolutely! And to me this is the main reason why I consider D3 to be less
typical PSB than e.g. Disco. Because the Boys used to be tired, used to be
bored, used to be self-conscious --- and I loved it!!! ;)

Read you,
Zdenek