[Introspective] D3

Daniel McCarthy dpmccart at artsci.wustl.edu
Sun Feb 9 04:43:56 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zdenek Stanka" <s.zdenek at volny.cz>

It
> doesn't mean we don't like "each other's" period; it just means we
consider
> two different styles to be "the typical Pet Shop Boys".

And then there are fans who jump to conclusions, heheheh... Zdenek, I became
a fan circa 1987 after hearing Rent and AOMM. Introspective, Actually and
Disco were my first three PSB albums, and Behavior is my all-time favorite.
Your profile of me is entirely wrong I'm afraid. That's no problem, although
I do note that some arguments have been started on this list before by
people mischaracterizing other fans' points of view. Whenever anyone
criticizes Release, for example, somebody flies off the handle and starts
denouncing the critic for only liking dance music. One need not like dance
music to find some flaws in Release (although I personally like Release a
lot).

I called D3 a minor work b/c it is -- it's not a full album, it's a
collection of crap remixes, leftovers from the last few years' worth of
sessions (the Zippel stuff), two new recordings of very old (but unreleased)
songs, and one entirely new song. You're right thought that it is debateable
whether SEB and ILCK are more characteristically PSB than IGA. I'd say they
are b/c they're more in the style that has always been associated with the
Boys. Anyway, I suppose my point is that on Disco 3 the Boys sound less
self-conscious and less tired, more confident. I don't think that's just b/c
they're doing faster, dancier songs, I think it's because they're taking a
more straightforward approach to the production and not trying to force it
into a "concept."