[Introspective] D3

Zdenek Stanka s.zdenek at volny.cz
Sun Feb 9 11:14:39 PST 2003

*lol* - don't be... :)

> For a few cast-off songs and
> some rather crap remixes, it's surprisingly brilliant. On the new
> songs PSB
> sound more comfortable with themselves than they have since Very. The
> production on D3 suits them so much better than the production on
> Bilingual,
> Nightlife and Release. It may be retro or electroclash, but songs
> like ILCK
> and especially SEB are the kind that PSB were meant to do, and
> they do them
> best.
>
> I liked Release, which has some great songs on it, but the production
> sounded tired and it was impossible to escape the feeling that they were
> doing a second-rate impression of other people's styles (Oasis, etc). D3
> might be a minor work, but it's characteristically PSB.

I think this is *exactly* the point!!! Sentences like "D3 might be a minor
work, but it's characteristically PSB" or "...are the kind that PSB were
meant to do..." are IMO the essence of such "disagreements". There are fans
(like you e.g.) who found themselves or started to listen to PSB music
around the time of Very and Relenless and so they expect PSB to do such a
kind of music (Somebody Else's Business, A Different Point Of View or
Euroboy). And then there are fans (like me e.g.) who found themselves or
started to listen to PSB music around the time of Please, Disco and
Actually. And for us Suburbia (the full horror), I Want A Lover, In The
Night or What Have I Done To Deserve This? are "characteristically PSB". It
doesn't mean we don't like "each other's" period; it just means we consider
two different styles to be "the typical Pet Shop Boys".

And, of course, *our* group is right!!! :)))

Read you,
Zdenek