[Introspective] Discography 2 tracks

Daniel McCarthy dpmccart at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Aug 12 01:13:25 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Two divided by zero" <2by0 at twodividedbyzero.com>

> You are forgetting an important group. The fan group. The kind of guy who
> already has almost every album since Discography 1 but don't have bought
the
> singles, for instance. And there's also the problem of the unreleased
> tracks. All the fans will want to have this unreleased tracks, but at what
> cost? They will have to buy a bunch of songs they already purchased, in
> Discography 1!

First off, I don't know if it's already been mentioned on the list but there
are some concrete details about the D2 collection in this month's Q+A on the
official site.  Neil said the two selection criteria for the collection are
that a.) all the material has to fit on one disc and b.) it has to be the
material that best represents what PSB are all about.  Neil also confirms
that "Believe / Song for Guy" has been recorded with Elton John as a bonus
track for a forthcoming single, possibly the one that's due out in October
to promote the compilation.  He also squelches the rumors that PSB have
collaborated with Sophie Ellis-Bextor.

I think a bit of faith in the Boys is warranted; they've done exceptionally
well at compiling their back catalog in the past through projects like
Alternative and the 2001 re-issues, so we have good reason to think they'll
come up with a logical and elegant set of songs for this year's hits
collections.  It's inevitably going to include the obvious choices -- WEG,
AOMM, Go West, It's a sin, Being boring, WHIDTDT? -- but if they're serious
about using the songs that best reflect PSB as a whole they may throw in
some surprises as well (which, considering that in the later period their
b-sides and album tracks are often better than their singles, would probably
be a good move).