[Trash-talk] Why the hostility?

Justin Scott jmscott42 at spamcop.net
Sat Mar 5 19:44:39 PST 2005

Actually, I've been on the list (admittedly mostly as a lurker) since 1996, and
I was pretty surprised the way one person's opinions were pretty much slammed
in a fairly personal way and by multiple people (i.e., attacking the person for
their opinion and not their position). I didn't agree with them, but you can
discuss things like this without dogpiling on the person.

I know the list gets obnoxious-- erm, I mean rambuncious... ;) at times (yes, I
remember the great Dukester wars), but beyond the common love of all things
Garbage, I've always been impressed as to how personal differences are fairly
well tolerated (Beyond the normal flame war which you'll get anywhere). Or, if
there are personal attacks, they're about entirely non-Garbage related topics
and don't belong on the list anyway. ;)

But this is getting pretty much entirely off topic, I wasn't even involved in
the original back-and-forth, so I'll not go into a long ramble and just go back
to my comfy lurker's chair. :)