[trash-talk] montreux

wilson king garbagebase at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 16:18:36 PDT 2005

Oh yes, I was there for the whole thing. I saw the Headfake set and the
Patti Smith set.

I'll agree that the Headfake set was a little repetative at times, and
the crowd was genuinely disinterested. But overall I thought they were
cool. They certainly weren't shy about their feelings about Bush and
Blair! "F*CK THEM!"  I believe was their attitude... Anyway Will
Calhoun is a well known and respected drummer, probably most famous as
a founding member of Living Color in the late 80's. He was definitely
playing the drums! There were some loops and samples as well, but he
certainly wasn't just pretending to play!

 Not sure where Doug Wimbish comes from, but I liked his bass playing
and his vocals. I think the problem, if there was one, was them even
being on the bill that night. Generally speaking, the Patti Smith and
Garbage crowds just didn't seem into them at all. They are much more of
a funk band than rock, and I think they would have had a better
reception if they were booked with similar bands... personally I like
funk, and therefore I liked their set.  Anyway....

--- Claude Knaus <clyde7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Yup, I was there, too.
>
> The two bands playing before Garbage were Headfake and Patti Smith.
> Headfake was basically a guy playing the guitar with occasional usage
> of his weak vocal - everything else was playback, even the drums,
> although there was a guy pretending to play the drums. Had to leave
> after four songs...
>
> Patti Smith was a real blessing after Headfake. I'm glad there still
> are real rock bands like them. Her roaring voice gave me goose bumps
> couple of times.
>
> Then Garbage. The crowd didn't move much, but the show was good. In
> fact it was more enjoyable for that matter. Shirley looked cute with
> her hat. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't play as many songs
> as in Paris or other shows, but who am I to complain - I'm glad I saw
> them the second time this year.
>
> There are a few pictures on my site; a staff member had nothing
> better
> to do than trying to stop me from making pictures - very annoying.
>
> http://garbage.cknaus.net/
>
> -- Claude

"The greatest price of refusing to participate in politics is being governed by your inferiors."

 - Plato, The Republic