[trash-talk] Garbage 5/10/05 DVD

Ian Abbott iabbott at ruiner.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 19 07:56:19 PDT 2005

Not forgetting of course that most DVD's use Dolby AC-3 for audio...
LPCM seems only to be used on short music DVDs (promo collections and
so on) where disk space isn't so much of an issue, being uncompressed
audio. Otherwise AC-3 is the best bet as it compresses audio by a
factor of 10 or so if you use 192kbps or 224kbps. I've only ever seen
a couple of MPEG Audio DVDs and they were back in the early days; I
think the original Fargo PAL release used it. These days even PAL
only really uses AC-3 or LPCM.

Ian