[Trash-talk] Paris Setlist

matt ifeelintoxicated at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 19:52:16 PDT 2005

My impressions after hearing a recording of the Paris
show:

> intro
I love this version of Hurt.  I didn't really get into
Johnny Cash's music until about 4 years ago, but he's
amazing.  It just does seem a little strange to play
this song before the concert starts.

> Queer
I've never like Queer live.  It just never sounds
right.  And I don't understand why they would start
the show with this song, except for the interesting
lighting that Elfie mentioned.  Personally, I hope
this changes for the US tour.

> Bad Boyfriend
Good song.  Not much to say.  The song doesn't wow me
like other Track 1 songs like Temptation Waits and...

> Supervixen
I really really really really do not like how they got
rid of the "Now I want it too much..." part.  Not at
all.  That's what made the song so unique when they
performed it live.  Now it sounds too generic to me.

> Stupid Girl
I suppose they'll have to play this song at every
concert for the rest of their careers.  Not that I'm
complaining though.  It's a great live song.

> Special
I was surprised to find out they're performing this
song.  Although it was a successful single, I never
thought it was that great live.  No spark or anything.

> Hammering in my Head
Great as always.  I couldn't understand the recorded
intro, but it's different from what it was on the V2.0
tour.  I can't wait for this one.

> Shut Your Mouth
If they could only perform one BG song, I would want
it to be this.  It's not my favorite song, but it is
by far the most superior BG song live.  A lot of
energy.

> Vow
Like Stupid Girl, another obligatory live song.  But
it's always one of my favorites, and I like how Shirl
periodically changes what she sings at the end.  (It's
a Yeah Yeah Yeahs song now, right?)

> Bleed Like Me
I don't like this song.  At all.  The first time I
heard it (on Radiofree Virgin) I was so disappointed,
because I was expecting the title track to be a
knock-my-socks-off fantastic song.  The melody is very
sing-songish and doesn't fit the lyrics well, IMO.
It's better live, but still, I don't like it.

> I Think I'm Paranoid
This is the song that got me into Garbage.  It's one
of my favorite songs and videos, and it's a special
song to me.  But, like Special, I don't think this
song is a great live song.

> Only Happy When it Rains
I love the new intro.  This is always fantastic live.
I'm so used to hearing this as the last encore, but it
fits just as well in the middle.

> Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!)
Like SYM, this is one of the best songs from BG to
perform live.  It'll be interesting to see Shirley
singing this with long red hair, as opposed to short
blonde.

> Push It
What can I say?  Probably the best live song.  So much
energy during this song.

> When i grow Up
New intro for this one too, and I love it.  I just
wish the intro style would have carried into the whole
song.  Would've made for an interesting change, but I
think that's asking too much.

> Why Do You Love Me
Great live song.  Sounds just like the album version.

> ----------
> # 1 Crush
*Sigh*  I don't get why they still perform this song.
Why???  If they have to perform a b-side, can't it be
Trip My Wire?  Or Girl Don't Come?  Why?????

> Sex is not the Enemy
I don't like this song either.  It annoys me, just
like BLM and WDYCO.  It's okay live, but I still don't
like it.

> Right Between the Eyes
The band always picks great songs to end with (OHWIR,
WIGU, CL) and this is no exception.  I'm excited to
hear this one.

Here would be the songs in my dream setlist (if anyone
cares):
S/T: Supervixen, OHWIR, Vow, Stupid Girl, My Lover's
Box, Trip My Wire
V2.0: Temptation Waits, WIGU, Push It, YLSF
BG: SYM, Cherry Lips, Parade
BLM: Run Baby Run, RBTE, WDYLM, Metal Heart, Boys
Wanna Fight, Happy Home

-Matt