[Trash-talk] Metallica / Godsmack @ the Forum (concert review, NGR)

blisteringheat blisteringheat at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 7 12:11:09 PST 2004

Figured I should see Metallica sometime, so we shelled out $150 (face!) for
a pair of GA tickets and off we went. Add to that $15 for parking, which
was more than most shows I've been seeing lately, and it was going to be an
expensive night out. There's something special about an event at the Forum.
It has an aura and fan friendliness to it that Staples Center doesn't come
close to approaching. The show was "in the round", which I was interested
in seeing. When we walked through the tunnel out onto the floor there was
Sully from Godsmack staring right down at us. In fact, you could pretty
much get to within six feet of any part of the stage you wanted, and a lot
closer in some parts. For Godsmack we kind of followed Sully around
wherever he went. When Metallica came out I mixed it up a bit, but tried to
stay near James Hetfield or Kirk Hammett. I think for big shows like this
the "in the round" scheme works pretty well. It allows the most people the
closest access to the stage. There are negatives though. I missed the
feeling that I was seeing a band and not just a series of individuals. The
best parts of the show were when all the band members found themselves in
the same area, somewhere near the drum kit usually. But still, I think it
worked pretty well and would recommend it for most arena shows.

As for the bands, both were very good. I've seen Godsmack a few times
already and they always put on a great sounding show. They were
surprisingly adept at using the "in the round" stage, and it actually
worked out really well when they utilized both drum kits. Metallica was an
excellent live band. I really wasn't sure what to expect from them. While
I'm sure their show had to be pretty much choreographed, it never got stale
or predictable. They utilized the entire stage by constantly running
around, across, and diagonally, so you never could tell who was going to be
where. The only thing that got old was the constant explosions going off
around the stage. I love loud shows, but fuck that was a bit much. One went
off right in front of me and for the next  minute the band sounded like it
was playing in a tin can. If you're a good band you really don't need that
crap. I only knew three songs in their entire set and encore, all of which
were bunched up towards the end: Master of Puppets, Unforgiven, and Enter
Sandman. That says something that I had as good a time as I did without
really knowing any of the material. I would never pay that much money to
see them again, but I'm glad I did this time.

Nicolas Cage was there and shook hands with Shelly and I as he left. I must
say though that the black vinyl pants and sleeveless shirt thing doesn't
work for him. Haha.

pongo

when did i get perverted
i can't remember your name
i'm growing introverted
you touch my hand but it's not the same...