[Trash-talk] SGR: Yeah Yeah Yeahs @the Barrymore

Susan Senn kanuz at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 06:19:49 PST 2004

It's been a while since I've posted, and I'll keep it brief because I have
and exam tomorrow.

I just got back from seeing the Yeah Yeah Yeahs here in Madison at the
Barrymore Theater.  We were late to the show because my friends decided that
since the show starts at 8 we have time to eat at 6:30.  Which, in theory,
was a good idea, however, I didn't realize that they wanted to eat across
the street from the theater so it was packed and we had an 1:45 wait before
we even got a table.

After eating we went into the theater and grabbed our reserved tickets.  We
walked into the theater on a set change (His and Her Vanities had just
finished up) and I saw my boss sitting about four rows from the back.  She
was slightly inebriated.  She saw me and said "Susan!" and turned to the man
with her and said "Susan is the biggest Garbage fan".  The man turned to me
and said "Well they're here, you know.  I've seen Duke and Steve and I think
Shirley and Butch are coming".  I was of course suddenly much more excited.
My friend Stacey and I decided to go grab seats towards the back so we could
see better and have a place to put my shit.  I turned to look around the
venue and low and behold I saw Duke hanging out by the back wall.  I think I
kind of creeped him out because I kept watching him.  It was just so bizarre
to see him at a show I was at.  Later Steve and his wife came and hung out
back by Duke.  I never saw Shirley nor Butch, but it's quite possible that
they were backstage.  I'll have to await the journals.

Anyway, the show.  So I got there in time to see Ssion.  Whom I was pretty
alone in liking.  They were two girls, one dressed as a pregnant lion the
other as a glittery chicken, and a guy, dressed as a glittery cow in hot
pants.  They were bizarre, but hilarious.  They kind of sounded liek Hole
circa Pretty on the Inside meets Rocky Horror Picture Show mixed with lots
of performance art.  They sang along to tapes while a premade video played
in the background.  I loved it, but I love weird avant-garde shit.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs were amazing.  They played a ton of songs.  And Karen O was
very, very drunk.  That's really all I'm going to say.  Just amazing.  Go
see them if you can because it's totally worth it.

Susan

"I could be passive gracefully...Tonight your ghost will ask my ghost,
'Where is the love?'; Tonight your ghost will ask my ghost, 'Who put these
bodies between us?'" - Metric  - 'Calculation Theme'