[Trash-talk] Billboard.com 'Grohl, Manson Guest On New Garbage Album'

Alan Hoppe scully_itsme at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 02:28:44 PST 2004

Who needs phone interviews when you have copy-and-paste and dial-up. -Alan-

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2088933

Grohl, Manson Guest On New Garbage Album

Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl and Marilyn Manson have recorded
contributions for rock act Garbage's upcoming studio album, according to
online posts from vocalist Shirley Manson. Grohl recently laid down drum
work on the track "Bad Boyfriend," and "the result is f***ing
AWE-INSPIRING," she says. Grohl has a long history with Garbage drummer
Butch Vig, who produced Nirvana's 1991 breakthrough, "Nevermind."

As for collaborating with Marilyn Manson, she reports, "It was the most fun
I've had in months! It was strange because I haven't actually sung in the
studio with anyone since my days in [the pre-Garbage band] Goodbye Mr.
Mackenze and so it was pretty weird to hear Manson's voice blast into my
earphones."

In-demand session bassist Justin Meldal-Johnsen (Beck, Air) has also laid
down parts for four tracks, including "Space Can Come Through Anyone." Of
that track, the singer enthuses, "His first take ... was so unbelievably
good that the hairs on my arms stood on end and I thought I was going to
burst with joy. And at the very moment the song ended, I was compelled to
let out this little scream."

The as-yet-untitled new album is being produced by the Dust Brothers' John
King. "He's a total sound geek so he's going to fit right in with the male
side of the Garbage equation," Manson says. "As for his skills with
neurotic, domineering female artists, well that's yet to be seen."

The set will be the follow-up to 2001's "beautifulgarbage," which debuted at
No. 13 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 371,000 copies in the U.S.,
according to Nielsen SoundScan. "I am FINALLY having so much fun making this
record," Manson says. "It feels like how you imagine making records would be
-- exciting and creative and joyous."

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.