[Trash-talk] I'm back, band recs.

Mark msp0 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 21 18:34:06 PDT 2003

Oh dear @nette. I feel I have to point out a few things about Nick Cave
to you. Maybe I'll help to break your obsession ... maybe not. :-)

One of my favourite bands, This is Serious Mum (or TISM) say this about
Nick Cave:

"Top Ten Sell-outs in Music History"
3. Nick Cave becomes addicted to heroin
4. James Brown becomes addicted to PCP
5. Nick Cave *doesn't* become addicted to PCP

Nick is seen as the poor little private school boy who became an
inner-city addict and then made huge mileage out of advertising his
drug addiction. He also spawned a legion of arrogant, self-indulgent
middle-upper class musicians (e.g. Hugo Race, who payed with the
Birthday Party for a short time) who consider the mordant rot they play
something of a class-based crusade.

Nick is also the first of the group lead by Jim Morrisson, of The Doors
about whom TISM say:

"Jimbo, father of a generation
Of private school depression idols;
>From Nick Cave on, they don't kill themselves -
They just tell us why they're suicidal."

I saw Nick Cave live once ... it was not an engaging concert. There was
either no conversation with the audience, or it was banal like "This is
a song about a girl (long pause) she was from Melbourne" for "Deanna".

Personally, I think he can take his crap novel about the American
South, his "arty" personna, his "work" with Blixa Bargeld, his whining
about his (multiple) drug additions and all the "mystique" surrounding
him and remove himself from the music industry altogether.

There, I feel much better now ... :-)

Hope this is of some help ...

cheers,
mark :-)