[Trash-talk] Juliana Hatfield w/ Some Girls @ the Casbah (concert review, NGR)

blisteringheat blisteringheat at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 16 16:28:53 PDT 2003

For those who were wondering, Juliana Hatfield is alive and well and is
fronting a new band called Some Girls. Made the long trek down to SD last
night to catch her at the Casbah, and I'm so glad I did. She and the band
were fantastic. I think Juliana has one of the coolest voices in rock. What
I didn't know is that she can play a pretty mean lead guitar as well. She
even did a little slide during a couple songs. This band's sound is similar
to her mid-90s solo stuff except that it consistently rocks a little
harder. As far as I could tell they played none of her solo material. It's
rare to know NO songs at a show and have this much fun.

I didn't know Juliana was from Boston, and during the set she went off on a
little tangent about the baseball playoffs and how the Yankees are like the
spoiled little rich children of baseball. Then she became really frightened
that her tirade was going to perpetuate the curse against her Red Sox, so
she took it all back but it kept bothering her the rest of the show. Her
guitar straps started breaking a little while later and she was totally
convinced it was Babe Ruth doing it. Some drunk ass yelled out "Who
cares?!" when she brought all this up. She came back with, "I care... and
you should too. Sports is a metaphor for life... there is victory and there
is defeat... there are winners and there are losers (looking at him)." Love
it.

The Pieces were the second group on the bill and they were excellent as
well. The two bands share the same bass player. They had sort of a Tom
Petty mixed with the White Stripes sound. Sounds strange but it worked.

*** out of ***

pongo

when did i get perverted
i can't remember your name
i'm growing introverted
you touch my hand but it's not the same...