[Trash-talk] The Raveonettes in SD (concert review, NGR)

blisteringheat blisteringheat at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 6 17:08:06 PDT 2003

They played at the Casbah in downtown. Damn I love this venue. I swear it
must have been someone's house back in the day and they just turned it into
a club. The stage is maybe a foot and a half off the ground. I remember
when I saw the Datsuns there it was difficult to keep yourself from falling
into the band members. Garbage needs to play this place!!!  :)

I don't own either of the Raveonettes' releases, but I like what I've heard
from them on satellite radio and on their various late night appearances.
Their sound is very Velvet Underground / Jesus & Mary Chain. They sounded
excellent. The vocals were a bit buried beneath all the guitar feedback and
distortion, but I like that. Here's the setlist, in order: Do You Believe
Her / Evil LA Girls / Veronica Fever / Let's Rave On / Chain Gang Of Love /
Little Animal / That Great Love / Noisy Summer / The Love Gang / My Tornado
/ Wanna Dance / Untamed Girls / Love Can Destroy / NY Was Great / Cmon
Everybody / Heartbreak Stroll // Attack Of The Ghost Riders / Mean Street /
plus a killer final song that I don't know and that wasn't on the setlist.
A lot of their songs are SHORT, as in under two minutes. This became
annoying because once you got into the groove of a good song it was over.
But other than that minor point it was a pretty good show. Supporting acts
Kittens for Christian and Stellastar were fun as well.

** out of ***

pongo

when did i get perverted
i can't remember your name
i'm growing introverted
you touch my hand but it's not the same...