[Trash-talk] [NGR] swear words and parents..........was: live bands and manners

Alan Hoppe achoppe at earthlink.net
Sat May 10 12:01:28 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "starvin' @nette" <bowdowntoanette at hotmail.com>

> You're not the only one, honey. I'm 20 and I recently started cursing in
> front of my parents. I've been cursing since I was about 8 years old, but
> never ever wanted to do it in front of my parents. I sometimes (rarely,
but
> sometimes) slip and say a curseword and I feel really really horrible
after
> saying it. Plus my mum gives me a nasty look. The past couple of months
I've
> started cursing in front of them, but I still feel highly uncomfortable
and
> stop dead in the middle of the word. So yeah, never curse in front of your
> parents.

oh, tell me about it. god, ever since i was wee i've not been able to swear
in front of my folks. it all started one year at xmas-time when i was
downstairs, engaging on happy yuletide song, and of course went into the
batman version of jingle bells, and sang

jingle bells, batman smells, robin cut a FAARRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTT (loud
emphasis on the fart part, of course - i was like .. 7) and lo and behold my
mom totally snapped (to use an @nette 'action word') and took me aside and
said, all dramatically, 'what did you just say???' *doon doon* and i
repeated the lyrics and she cut me off at 'fart' and said 'i don't everrrr
want to hear you say that word again!!'

so of course i never said fart for years and years after that around the
parental units, which sort of ended my hopes of reciting any of george
carlin's words you can't say on TV etc etc. in front of them either. then
one day my mom said that she really didn't mind the word 'fart' but it was
only because she was embarrassed because all these relatives were there.
geez. to think, maybe i could've had a childhood experience showered in
profanity, had i known then what i know now. sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit. *looks
around*

xxoo,
alan