[Trash-talk] abandoned pools opinion on Garbage and their audience

Alan Hoppe achoppe at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 17 12:35:34 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Gullas" <PTGullas at dhcr.state.ny.us>

> Well, I've never even heard of Abandoned Pools, but I'm probably just
> falling behind the times again (I only just recently discovered this
> up-and-coming young singer out of Chicago named Liz Phair). Are they a
> relatively young band? I was under the impression that most opening
> bands endure far more hostile abuse than the crowd just sitting on their
> hands. That's just how it is...crowds are always mainly there to see the
> headliner. And Garbage's audience is probably a lot friendlier than that
> of some other bands. He should consider himself lucky.

AP only had one release out when they toured with G on the BG headlining
tour, so yeah - they're a young band. But I'm not sure any details on the
band since that time. Others on the list surely know more. Like Jayson!! He
created an AP site.

I really liked them as an opening band. And a lot of G fans did. That's the
whole irony in Tommy knocking the Garbage fan base. A lot of the fans were
enthusiastically into AP. And if it hadn't been for Garbage having them as
an opener, a lot less people would've known about AP. To use an interview to
talk smack .. it happens all the time in the rock press. But that doesn't
make Tommy doing it any less dorky. Still, it gave us all something to talk
about! (maybe that's why he did it .. reverse psychology as a way of showing
his gratitude to his beloved trasher posse of fans)

And what I said about some G fans being zombies .. I didn't mean it the way
it came out. I meant more what you were saying - that crowds are mainly
there to see the headliner, in general. That some fans will obviously not be
interested in the opening act and just sorta stand there.

xo..........alan