[Trash-talk] abandoned pools opinion on Garbage and their audience

Alan Hoppe achoppe at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 17 10:50:42 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "marta" <redgilda at garbage.pl>
<snip>

> ------------
> what do you guys think about that?:-)

1. for the interviewer to compare garbage's power loss onstage / the use of
samples, to milli vanilli is a misconception. it misses the point. garbage
have turned the cuing of samples intermingled with their live tracks into
sort of an artform of its own. so that whole milli vanilli thing was just a
retarded thing to say.

2. the dude from abandoned pools has a point when he goes on about garbage
fans not really being music fans but being shirley fans. i know what he's
saying .. in a small sense. but that too is a total generality and it only
covers a portion of what's going on in the audience at a garbage show. lots
of fans are just there for garbage and sit like zombies for the opening act,
no matter who it is, maybe. i don't know. isn't that often the case with
opening bands, no matter who the headliner is? but again, this is *such* a
generality and does a disservice to the fans, ultimately. shirley herself
will say stuff like 'well we can't seem to rally the troups tonight' in
reference to her feeling about the audience being a bit unresponsive .. that
happened at the deck the hall ball - which was a festival so there were fans
there not there for garbage .. anway - about the AP dude - this need to vent
about garbage fans in the interview doesn't surprise me because after
talking to several members of AP during the tour i got that feeling .. they
came out and said  'how come the fans don't like us?' and me and pongo were
like 'dude, we like you!'

3. i don't think he was dissing garbage for using samples .. it sounded more
like he was having fun at their expense. but he came off like he was having
a lot of fun having something bad to say about the band. i think he has a
grudge against them for an unpleasant opening tour experience.