[Trash-talk] into the g..groove ((((rrrrrrrrreallly long and off topic))))

xshirleyxvixenx *~* shirleyvixen at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 7 22:28:49 PDT 2003

my turn...

well, i feel like ive told this story a million times. i probably have. but
here it comes again.

****1995****

when i was 9 i was aware of garbage - my 15 year old sister noeleen liked
them (she feel in love with queer) and id seen the videos on tv but i dont
remember how they sounded or anything. she got the debut album for christmas
from my other sister (i dont remember that happening either).

on new years eve, 4 days after my 10th birthday (wow so long ago!), i was
sitting on the landing getting dressed for a party (i was getting dressed
into blue leggings and slouch socks - a lot has changed over the years!) -
noeleen was playing her album. she put on only happy when it rains and said
do you know this song louise? i said no. she then changed to queer and said
do you know this song? i said no. then she put on supervixen and i cried oh
i know that one! i know that one! but how can you louise you've never heard
it before.

i fell in love *instantly*.

i went into her room and we listened to the songs. i looked at the picture
of garbage on the back cover. noeleen pointed to the girl - thats shirley
manson. i nodded. she was pretty. she was cool. but i didnt care - i just
wanted the music.

<the above is how i got into them but now ive started rambling on and its up
to you whether you want to read this.....>

1996 and part of 97 was a swirl of garbage. during the summer of 96 i must
have listened to that album a thousand times on repeat. i hurled the windows
open and i jumped up and down on my bed. in all my life of music obsession,
id never been so passionate. i encouraged a school friend to get into them
and we would run around the house screaming dog new tricks and my sisters
would laugh at us. my pencil case was covered in garbage stickers (top of
the pops and smash hits magazine quite liked garbage in those days!) and my
german penpal would send me all these cool articles and stuff. mary and i
dreamed that one day we would go to a concert and stand in the middle. we
never believed that kinda stuff could come true. we were relatively naive 11
year old girls knowing nothing really about concerts and bands. that sort of
stuff didnt happen to people like us. it was for other people far away.

i lost the album in the autumn of 97 after id posted off the card to
mushroom to join the mailing list and found it by chance in feb 98 and fell
in love all over again - to be shocked on easter sunday by a new garbage
video. aargh.

this time the love was completely different, and what i needed was
different. we fell for shirley. we needed her so much and we wanted to be
her so much. i know that i definitely did anyways. and well, it was always
about the music but it became so much more.

this is so cheesy and so pathetic and so sick but SO TRUE......
it kept me *alive* during that era - truly and completely and wholly because
unfortunately at that time in my life i had nothing else. its very strange
to think back to then, considering what i am now but in 98/99/00 i had a
series of "nervous breakdowns" and without garbage, well, there would be no
me!

im happy to say that im not so reliant now because well, that would be
terrifying! :P and i dont need garbage to survive thankfully! ive got a lot
more in my life thats probably a lot healthier for me :-D

but these are reasons why im so nostalgic about things like how i got into
this band etc. because i dont think ive been affected quite so much in my
life by anything else.

anyways - wasnt that exciting? well what can anyone else attribute to
garbage? :P

****
believe it, i need it, i feel intoxicated
i love it, i want it, dont make me leave you for it

for a long time i was in love
not only in love
i was obsessed

ive got to make a point these days