[Trash-talk] What look of Shirley's would you recreate for aphotosession?

Mark msp0 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 22:47:34 PDT 2003

--- Fox Mulder <scully_itsme at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >From: Mark <msp0 at yahoo.com>
>
> >Many thanks to Lou and Alan for replying :-) My comments are inline
>
> you are most welcome, O markus of OZ!

*laughs* ;-)

> thanks for replying and clarifying some things too.

> > The colour aspect would be interesting, although
> >it's likely I'll take many more black and white photos than colour.
> But
> >as OHWIR is my fave G video, I'll study it again to get some ideas
> :-)
>
> well the main thing that really makes me so hot over the OHWIR video
> is this
> feeling i have that every frame of the video is art. if you have a
> way to
> watch it that allows you to freeze-frame it or do slow-motion
> frame-by-frame, i find that overindulgance in that video can produce
> some
> serious inspiration. for me, it's drawing. but i didn't realise that
> you are
> doing black-and-white photography - it all makes sense to me now. i
> wasn't
> paying attention completely before. sorry.

I'll have to take a good look again :-) It's always struck me as the
main video of theirs to have an intense attention to detail (perhaps
closest to OHWIR is Push It) so I'll take another look.

> >Maybe I need you to come over and shoot the video of the photo
> shoot?!
> >That's the only way you'll get pics of me in recording tape.
>
> that would  be fun! haha - we could upload AVI clips someplace.

Heh ... you could art direct the session and shoot the video too. Now,
who can we get to fund this? ;-)

> >Hmmm ... it seems the pressure is on now! I'll see what I can
> comeup
> >with. Cetainly, I remember the facial shots of Shirley from that
> video,

> do you need more images from any part of that video? i've got tons on
> my
> hard drive from a previous vidcap project that i don't have posted
> anywhere
> at this time.

I'll check it out frame by frame on TV and let you know if I need
anything.

> >To follow up on a couple of Lou's comments, I mainly take black and
> >white photos because I develop and print them in my temporary
> darkroom
> >at home. I not only is it much cheaper to do B&W, but I can get a
> lot
> >more control over what comes out. I like to use dramatic lighting
> and
> >feed on the "darker" elements of lighting and composition, so B&W is
> >ideal.
>
> i didn't realise all of this. i took a coarse / course (baaa can't
> spell
> anymore, i need to take english 101 over again) ...... anyway i took
> photography class and was introduced to darkroom things and always
> wondered
> how intense the jump from black-and-white to colour there would be.
> they
> didn't TEACH colour darkroom @ the college, i don't think. i think
> having a
> darkroom at home would be awesome! and learning the ansel adams zone
> system.

Colour developing is more difficult because you have to do 3 passes in
the develop/fix/rinse cycle. And the temperature has to be much more
exact on each pass than B&W - within 0.2 of a degree I've read. So
while it is possible, I can't do it yet.

Colour printing is more complex because of the need to balance each of
the three passes, so you essentially have to do proof strips for each
pass. Timeconsuming ... and that means you really need temperature
control on your chemicals, which I don't. Of course, it's just what
I've read so maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong in any area.

As for the zone system: maybe one day! I find it a bit tedious - I'd
rather just jump in and learn on the job, so to speak.

> black-and-white is great for all those lighting and composition
> elements you
> described - i would love to see what you come up with sometime. so if
> you DO
> feel inclined, please do post the URL of anything you do that you
> would like
> trash-talkers to see. that would be fun.

I'll see what happens. It depends if the model will let me publish that
way too. Maybe the shots will make their way into my folio only ...
we'll see! But I'd love to get feedback from people ... I haven't tried
to scan 6x7 negatives yet ... not sure if my scanner will handle them.

thanks again :-)

cheers,
mark