[Trash-talk] What look of Shirley's would you recreate for aphotosession?

Fox Mulder scully_itsme at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 2 16:26:50 PDT 2003

>From: Mark <msp0 at yahoo.com>

>Many thanks to Lou and Alan for replying :-) My comments are inline ...

you are most welcome, O markus of OZ!
thanks for replying and clarifying some things too.

>I guess people are busy or not paying much attention while there is no
>news of new G stuff. However, I appreciate getting other people's
>ideas, as I don't see many fashion magazines these days.

i go through fashion-magazine-buying moments here and there and have them
sitting all over the place. but it's very hit-and-miss because i also go
long periods without doing so too. they ARE great to pour through and find
artistic inspiration, what with all of the imagery. i think my primary
reason for getting them is twofold : instant pop culture time capsule +
artistic inspiration (what commercial artists are whipping up etc)

>I was considering a whitened face with distinctive eye makeup, perhaps
>due to my "gothic" interests and the fact that there are many websites
>for makeup like this. The colour aspect would be interesting, although
>it's likely I'll take many more black and white photos than colour. But
>as OHWIR is my fave G video, I'll study it again to get some ideas :-)

well the main thing that really makes me so hot over the OHWIR video is this
feeling i have that every frame of the video is art. if you have a way to
watch it that allows you to freeze-frame it or do slow-motion
frame-by-frame, i find that overindulgance in that video can produce some
serious inspiration. for me, it's drawing. but i didn't realise that you are
doing black-and-white photography - it all makes sense to me now. i wasn't
paying attention completely before. sorry.

> > mark up
> > to his knees in magnetic recording tape. and his model for the shoot
> > captured looking on, in a red/pink dress [just like the one in
> > ohwir!! ]
> > wondering what her next shot will be, unaware that it is being
> > captured that
> > moment. that would totally be COOL. but maybe that's my own silly
> > photo
> > shoot.
>
>Maybe I need you to come over and shoot the video of the photo shoot?!
>That's the only way you'll get pics of me in recording tape.

that would  be fun! haha - we could upload AVI clips someplace.

> > with. if
> > he went with an OHWIR  - inspired concept.
>
>Hmmm ... it seems the pressure is opn now! I'll see what I can comeup
>with. Cetainly, I remember the facial shots of Shirley from that video,
>as I had a version of the Netscape browser I had modified to use pics
>of Shirley from OHWIR as the animation in the top right hand corner!

do you need more images from any part of that video? i've got tons on my
hard drive from a previous vidcap project that i don't have posted anywhere
at this time.

>To follow up on a couple of Lou's comments, I mainly take black and
>white photos because I develop and print them in my temporary darkroom
>at home. I not only is it much cheaper to do B&W, but I can get a lot
>more control over what comes out. I like to use dramatic lighting and
>feed on the "darker" elements of lighting and composition, so B&W is
>ideal.

i didn't realise all of this. i took a coarse / course (baaa can't spell
anymore, i need to take english 101 over again) ...... anyway i took a
photography class and was introduced to darkroom things and always wondered
how intense the jump from black-and-white to colour there would be. they
didn't TEACH colour darkroom @ the college, i don't think. i think having a
darkroom at home would be awesome! and learning the ansel adams zone system.

black-and-white is great for all those lighting and composition elements you
described - i would love to see what you come up with sometime. so if you DO
feel inclined, please do post the URL of anything you do that you would like
trash-talkers to see. that would be fun.

xoxo,
alan