[Trash-talk] kiab's feb. 14 gig (kinda long, sorry)

Lindsay Calhoun shirleyzas at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 18 00:42:00 PST 2003

So I've been meaning to type up a bit about my experience at the KIAB's
show...I hope you all find this entertaining, because I should be studying
for my anthropology test now but instead I'm thinking fondly of the events
of Friday night.

Okay anyway...my friend Alison and I decided to drive up to Madison for the
show, even though we're under 21.  I had been talking to Chris Sanchez (from
axisallareas) because he was pretty in the know about the whole situation,
and he said he'd try to work something out for us to get in.  So we drive
the four hours from Champaign and when we get to our hotel there's a message
from Chris saying that he had been hanging out with Butch and Steve earlier
in the day, and they okayed us coming underage, and put us on the guest list
or something.  So I gave Chris a call and he was like, "Hey okay, Butch says
to be there at 9 pm."  So I hung up with him and had a mini freak out cus it
was like, "Wow...BUTCH says be there at 9 pm."  Butch was addressing me in
an indirect way haha and me being a spaz, I found it cool.

So I anxiously drove Alison crazy for the next 2 1/2 hours until it was time
to head to Chris's hotel to drop off the car and walk to the cafe.  On the
walk Chris informs me that Steve is supposedly coming down to watch and the
guys were trying to convince Shirley to come down as well.  I get super
excited because I didn't even know if Shirley was in Madison or not.  He
also told me Jayson was coming for the show, and I remembered the last time
I saw Jayson I was jumping around stupidly about meeting Shirley so haha I
felt a bit dumb.  Anyway, we get to the club and get in with no problem
since we're on "the list" and man, did we ever stick out.  At first we were
clearly the youngest people there by a number of years and everyone was
staring at us and talking about us.  Alison and I just sort of awkwardly
hung out in the doorway to the sidecar by the stage after Chris gave us a
mini tour of the cafe.

Shortly after Duke came in.  He came over to talk to Chris and introduced
himself to us (as if we didn't know who he was) and I am proud to say that I
was really quite cool with the whole thing, a first for me.  A couple of
minutes later Butch came in and I was SOOOO happy to meet him because he and
Steve are the only two I've never met.  He introduced himself as well, and
then headed off to mingle or whatever.  At about 10 pm the show started up
and it was SOOO fun, lots of great covers, and Butch singing "Yummy yummy
yummy I've got love in my tummy."  In between songs Duke would lean over and
talk to me since I was standing kinda by him offstage, and the drunker he
got, the more he talked to me.  He almost fell coming off the stage at one
point so he steadied himself on me and Alison and then laughed and said
"Help me."  Oh and all four band members kept asking us if we were having a
good time (which of course we were).

Blah blah blah I could go on forever about the show and all the interesting
people we met/observed but I'll spare you the details as this is long enough
already.  Anywho...after the show the place cleared out pretty quickly.  It
was pretty packed but a lot of people left once the band was done.  Oh, and
also supposedly Shirley came in, took one look around, and walked back out.
I myself didn't see her but several others claimed to.  We were just sitting
around the stage, so I took the first page of Duke's set list, and then some
drunk girl gave me the cupid decoration off of Freedy's microphone (I think
that's where it was from).  So I drew on it and made it look like Butch
haha.  Anyway...eventually Duke wandered back over and talked to us more,
and at one point we followed him to the empty hair salon next door and just
sorta stood around with like four or five other people.  It was pretty cool,
being around Duke in such a relaxed environment (and he was being pretty
goofy from the drinks).  We eventually took a picture but Chris couldn't get
the camera to work so I just stood there, with Duke's arm around my
shoulder, for quite some time.  It was quite pleasant haha, he kept saying,
"Take your time," and talking about how Chris was a programming genuis but
couldn't get the camera to work or something.  So once again he asked us if
we had a good time, and then gave me like a half hug and totally intentional
hand squeeze.  Like one of those things when you're coming out of a hug with
someone and they let their hand slide down your arm then hold on to your
hand for a moment, and squeeze it.  Haha I don't know if that's an apt
description but I was all like, yeah, Duke's squeezing my hand, sweet!  Cus
yeah, I'm a dork.

Wow I am making this too long.  So anyway I think Duke was heading out to
someone's house or something, he was like, "It's nice to meet you girls," so
I hope if I ever meet him again in the future he'll remember me, although
I'm not sure if he will.  Back in the cafe I really wanted a picture with
Butch (haha Pat I'm sure you were waiting for that) but he was having a
conversation with someone and I didn't want to interrupt him.  Eventually he
got freed up and I think I kinda asked his brother for a picture with Butch,
although I didn't even know it was Butch's brother.  Okay that was
confusing...I was talking to a guy, who happened to be Butch's brother, but
I didn't know that.  I mentioned I wanted a picture with Butch, which he
thought was cute or sweet or something, so he was trying to get Butch's
attention.  Eventually I asked him and he looked at me all dazed-like and
was like, "Ummm yeah, sure," like he had no idea what I was talking about.
For the record, Butch is kind of a short guy, for those that have not seen
him up close.  I never had, except onstage.  Anyway...we take the picture
and Chris says, "Butch I gotta ask you for the ultimate item for my
website...can I have the sunglasses?"  Once again Butch takes a while to
answer but then he was like, "Ummm no man."  Then he sorta turns to me and
he's like, "It's taken me forever to find the perfect sunglasses.
See...it's dark in here, and we're inside, and I have sunglasses on, but I
can see you perfectly."  Then he went on to describe what the glasses are
made of and how superb they were.  I found it all highly amusing.  I
jokingly asked him for his silk Valentine's shirt that he was wearing but I
don't think he even heard me, he seemed kind of out of it.

So then we were getting kicked out by the screaming bartender, who was
freaking out because the bar was closing and people weren't leaving.
Alison, Chris, and I headed out (this was about 2:30 am or so) and back to
our respective hotels.  All in all it was a great night, the first chance
I've had to just sort of see/talk to members of the band in a normal
atmosphere.  I don't think anyone mentioned Garbage at all haha.  I highly
recommend going to a show if you can make it.  Sorry this is so long.  Oh
yeah and I'm attaching this picture from themomo.com because you can see me
in it, a fact of which I am very proud.  I'm the one in the red shirt,
leaning against the door :)
-Lindsay