[Introspective] Final results of poll comparing tracks on three PSB albums

Wayne Studer psbfan at geowayne.com
Sat Nov 14 22:11:36 PST 2015

site visitors to compare, track-by-track, each of the songs on three
consecutive Pet Shop Boys studio albums of the 1990s -- Very, Bilingual, and
Nightlife -- choosing their favorite song in each track position. But rather
than list all the results here in lengthy detail, please allow me to
summarize them as follows:

* Songs from Very came out on top for 8 out of the 12 tracks,  with "Go
West"/"Postscript" being selected by the largest margin of all, earning
73.9% of the votes as the "Track 12" selection.

* The exceptions to the dominance of Very were three victorious tracks from
Bilingual -- "A Red Letter Day," "Up Against It," and "To Step Aside" -- and
just one from Nightlife, "I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Any
More."

* A plurality of voters (14.5%) indicated that Track 5 -- the choice between
"Dreaming of the Queen" (which was the preferred choice), "Se A Vida E," and
"You Only Tell Me You Love When When You're Drunk" -- was the most difficult
or "painful" choice.

To see the complete, detailed results, please visit my "Commentary" site at
http://www.geowayne.com/psbhtml.htm and select one of the "Past Survey
Results" options in the top navigation bar or click the appropriate link on
my "What's New?" page.

As penance for imposing upon you such a lengthy poll and forcing you to make
so many choices last week, my new survey for the week ahead very unusually
offers just two choices. If you could choose between the Pet Shop Boys'
final years of making new music being relatively short in length and
offering fewer new songs, but those mostly being of high quality, and their
final years stretching out longer and offering a significantly larger number
of new songs, but most of those being of lower quality, with maybe only one
or two real "gems" per new album, which would you prefer? Please mull this
over and make your choice from those two options right there on my home
page.

In the meantime, thanks to everyone who voted in last week's survey! And I
hope you all have a splendid week ahead!