[Introspective] Dortmund - July 1st

Gilles G. gilles.gen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 01:31:45 PDT 2013

Hello all,

*this post contains setlist spoilers*

We were there in Dortmund, with the usual Belgian fan crew, some right at
the front (Chris' side), some a bit further. Didn't attend London so
couldn't compare (one of us did, and found Dortmund much better since *no*
atmosphere at all in London and too big a venue). Second show for me after
Paris, June 11th. And this one was way above, sound-wise, atmosphere-wise !
I found the sound really good, albeit a bit too loud, and (surprisingly for
Germany...) there was a nice crowd ambiance, and Neil seemed really
pleased. A truly GREAT show, with this combination of fascinating light
work and a great setlist. 24th concert overall for me, and clearly the one
where I danced the most. I had a really nice spot to do so, third row, and
ended up dancing pretty madly to each song (except the fabulous "breathing
space" that is Invisible, and Go West because I just *can't* stand it),
sometimes really jumping up and down. This seemed to annoy somewhat the guy
behind me, who was filming a lot - I was prepared to remind him that a
concert is *made* to cheer, dance and enjoy the moment, *not* to keep on
filming or photographing with your phone or camera... The abundance of cell
screens above our heads nowadays is IMHO a real pain in the *** ;-)

Only regrets :
- they don't perform Love is a bourgeois construct here in Europe, although
they did in South America (unfair ! and hard to understand since from what
I've heard this is the best track on Electric)
- the end of the show, where 5 "classic crowd-pleaser hits" are chained, is
a bit loose. Staging is practically absent then, and ending with Go West /
Always on my mind / West End girls is truly lacking imagination IMHO (and
especially the former, I would *dream* that they end up dumping it live !)

On the other hand, Vocal, in Dortmund, was absolutely devastating.

Best moments for me : I'm not scared, Fugitive, I wouldn't normally do, One
more chance/Face like that (this medley works really well), Invisible, I
get excited/Rent

Now for the time being we don't get *any* date close to where we live,
which is really a surprise and a pity, compared to previous tours. They're
supposed to come to Belgium (and, hopefully, Germany nearby, the
Netherlands and maybe France) later this year (winter), in the "second leg"
of the tour. Fingers crossed !

Hope everyone enjoyed / will be able to enjoy !

PSB yours,

Gilles