[Introspective] introspective Digest, Vol 118, Issue 18

chris jones chris_jones10 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 23 13:30:37 PDT 2012

Yeah, my relationship with Winner is complicated. When I first heard
it, I thought it was a weak choice for first single and a pretty weak song overall. It grew on me a little over the summer, but somehow, in the context of the album, I feel it works a lot better. I've been listening to the instrumentals over the last few days, and that's given me a greater appreciation of it, too. I think you're right, though - whatever the initial inspiration for the track (Gary Barlow and 10,000 screaming girls, it seems), it probably wouldn't have been on the album had it not been 2012.

Musically, there's some nice touches to the orchestration, and the march-like rhythm of the middle-eight really comes through on the instrumental, but the chord progression is a little too simple, I agree.....

Elysium's a great album. Definitely their third triumph in a row. Release had it's moments, but they seem to work better with a producer, be it Horn, Higgins or Dawson. I found Chris's passive-agreessiveness towards Mr Higgins quite funny on the commentary, mind.

Looking forward to the b-sides for Leaving. And the 'dance album' next year. Two studio albums in two consecutive years? Call me cynical, but when was the last time that happened?! Great time to be a PSB fan, though. We're very lucky.

Chris