[Introspective] Final results of poll on ranking the PSB studio albums

Wayne Studer psbfan at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 26 22:08:36 PDT 2009

The final results are in for my survey this past week, in which I asked my
site visitors to rank the Pet Shop Boys' studio albums from #1 to #10, with
#1 being their favorite and #10 their least favorite. And the final results
are extremely interesting. In fact, you might say there are two "winners"
depending on how you look at it:

* "Very" had the best average ranking of 3.88, but

* "Behaviour" had the largest number of #1 votes, with 30.4% of the voters
choosing it as their #1 favorite.

How can one album have the most #1 votes but another come out on top in the
averages? Well, it has to do with the votes for #2, #3, #4, etc. The final
overall ranking, based strictly on the averages, was:

#1 - Very
#2 - Behaviour
#3 - Actually
#4 - Yes
#5 - Introspective
#6 - Please
#7 - Fundamental
#8 - Bilingual
#9 - Nightlife
#10 - Release

To see the complete results, including all the percentages for all the
rankings for all the albums, please visit my "Commentary" site at
button in the left navigation bar.

After last week's relatively complex poll, I figured we should wind down
with a much simpler one this week. In a recent interview, the Pet Shop Boys
said that there is serious consideration of a possible upcoming release of
an "Alternative 2" album, collecting their single b-sides released since
"Alternative" in 1995. I'm wondering whether you would buy such an album,
and why or why not. (See, I told you it was simple. ;-)  So please take a
moment to respond to this question right there on my home page.

In the meantime, thanks to everyone who voted in last week's survey! And I
hope you all have a superb week ahead!