[Introspective] O2 show

Paolo Bientinesi pauldj at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 22 14:59:02 PST 2009

"What a performance tonight. Should I react or turn off the light?"

An absolutely fabulous show. I had already attended the summer concerts, and yet, got emotional and had goose bumps again and again!

Neil's voice was as powerful and clear as ever. I was right at the front and the sound was just great. Actually quite amazing. This was definitely not the case for the opening act, where the guitars pretty much killed any other musical element. But I didn't care for them. How was the sound in other spots?

Neil opened up with "Tonight is Pandemonium, inside and outside", due to the difficulties in London caused by the snow. Then kept talking to "London" throughout the show, thanking us over and over and even asking us to sing along!

I loved the entire show, but some moments were just incredible. I have no idea why, but the music at moments became literally mesmerizing and touching. One example: Kings Cross. Absolutely stunning.

Several differences with respect to the summer tour:

-What Have I Done To Deserve This, with Dusty's voice from the original track.
Neil sang up to Dusty's part, then pointed at the screen and let a pixelized Dusty take over.

-The twins busted a micro black dress and high-heels with Neil hinting, always in tune,
"dress to impress"... "a little black dress"

-Tribute to Dainton, dedicating My Girl to him and his wife.

-New York City Boy

-second encore and finale with It Doesn't Often Snow At Christmas.

The O2 was not jam packed but the open sections were almost entirely full. I can't really tell how the audience reacted, as I could not see in the back. I would be curious to know if people were jamming & singing along or just standing and watching.

In my opinion this was clearly a magical year for the Boys, and the show only proved how young, moving and appreciated their music still is.

20+ years ago who could predict I would still be this much in love with their music?
--
Paolo