[Introspective] Very tracks (Please 2)

Johan johan at ostergaard.org
Wed Feb 20 00:37:26 PST 2008

I would also exchange two tracks, but certainly not 'One in a million'. Very
is probably the album I've heard most times ever, and interestingly I used
to think that 'One in a million' was among the weakest tracks on the album,
but somewhere around the 200th listen I changed my mind. I think it has a
great energy, fine lyrics and my favourite part is where Neil says 'Feel
free to leave...etc.". It also took me a long time to discover the 'Oh baby
baby' part in the chorus which is also one of my favourite things about the
song.

I certainly don't think it's unsuited to come before Go West - in fact I
often skip that song and go straight to Postscript.

Instead, I feel that Liberation,Young Offender and One and one make five
could well have been replaced with Decadence, Too Many People and Shameless,
though the album is brillant the way it is, really, and to have fantastic
songs like 'Too Many People' and 'Shameless' on the b-sides only makes it
better. Combined with great remixes and videos, this truly was a fantastic
time for the boys and their fans. The pinnacle, of course, also marked the
beginning of a sadly steady decline in consistency, though even now they can
still come up with utter brillance. Too bad the gems have to be surrounded
by quite a bit of redundancy, especially on the last two albums.

You choose as the best closing track? I think it is probably the worst.
Postscript is the ultimate album closer, of course, but Jealousy and King's
Cross also do that job incredibly well.

I agree, of course, that 'I didn't get where I am today' shouldn't have been
a b-side, but I don't think it would have fit into Release. Always, on the
other hand, would certainly have improved the album, though it would take
more major surgery to remove the stain left by, say, 'The Night I fell in
love'.

Johan

  _____