[Introspective] mourning songs

Fred Maus fem2x at virginia.edu
Tue Mar 20 08:25:34 PDT 2007

I've been thinking about the PSB songs about AIDS, especially "It
couldn't happen here" and "Being boring" and "Dreaming of the queen."
I'd be really interested in some conversation about these.  How
important were these to you when they came out?  Did they help you in
thinking about the crisis at that time?  Does it matter that they are
kind of indirect (some people never figure out that they are about AIDS)?

Why are they so gorgeous?  They are some of the most extremely beautiful
PSB songs.  That's unusual in music of mourning, which is often austere.

If you want to say something about this, write to the list if you like,
but I'd also welcome private correspondence.

thank you,
Fred