[Introspective] itunes related question

John Turpin justified_type at mac.com
Sun Feb 4 13:50:33 PST 2007

At 8:06 PM +0100 2/4/07, Gilles G. wrote:
>hi there,
>
>I'm trying to compile, out of my own singles, via itunes, my set of
>"alternative vol. 2" discs (all b-sides from bilingual to
>fundamental).
>
>and I have a problem with 'blue on blue' and 'no time for tears', both
>on the dvd single of numb (although I went ok with 'nightlife' being
>on the dvd single of h&d).
>
>my mac opens its dvd player when I insert the disc and I can't
>possibly access the mp3 contents of the desktop file or have it added
>to my itunes library.

Well, it's not in mp3 format. I believe it's in PCM format, if I remember correctly. DVDs have either PCM or AC3 format audio. On a Mac, you can rip the audio off DVDs with a combination of 0SEx (to demux the files) and mAC3dec (to convert to more accessible audio formats). I haven't had much success with PCM audio from DVDs.

The easiest way to grab the audio is to use something like Audio Hijack <http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/> to record the audio as it plays in the DVD player app. Then trim the captured file down, and import it into iTunes.

  John Turpin / justified_type at mac.com
 "Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning
  It shows the world that you've got substance and depth" -- PSB