[Introspective] Intro alive and kicking...

Johan johan at ostergaard.org
Sat Aug 25 03:57:40 PDT 2007

I agree that the flame wars ruined Introspective, but I think in actual fact
there was only really one person doing almost all of the flaming and that
was Jeffrey Durst - he wrote about 5 posts (most of them harsh personal
attacks) every time somebody else wrote one. Since the list moderator did
not intervene, he made about half the list members unsubscribe and the other
half shut up. This combined with the upshot of the web forum and the well
combed 'Petheads' mailing list shut down Introspective in my opinion. Oh
well, at least it went out in flames rather than just fading away :-)

I do rather enjoy Jeffrey's ramblings in a way - as trolls go he is at least
doing it with some wit and style - but it's a shame that he was allowed to
single-handedly close down a long time well-functioning list, and it should
also be noted that on occasions he has crossed the line between innocent
internet harassment and downright illegal threats and libel against members
of this list and the web forum.

It will be interesting to see if James Lick - who or whatever he is -
decides to actually take action this time, as I remember he wrote that he
would some years back. Until then, of course, as you point out, it should be
fairly easy for those who are offended or bored by Aloysius/Jeff to simply
put him in the junk folder or create a rule that automatically deletes his
mails (In Outlook, go to Tools->Rules and alerts and create a new rule that
looks for his name in the sender of the mail and automatically deletes it or
puts it in the junk folder).

Anyway, it's nice to see that so many people stayed here after all - this
list was such an important part of my initiation to the whole internet
business that it still has a special place for me - even if we've all grown
up now and probably don't have as much time to spend on PSB or mailing lists
these days as back in those days :-)

Johan