[Introspective] "You dance to rock but you don't like Disco... 4"

James Cherry girliedrinker at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 9 19:11:39 PDT 2007

Sergio:

> i think that every 'disco' was released for different
> intentions through the years but never was meant to be
> a great new record, just a commercial one. it often
> includes several singles's remixes, b-sides or any
> previously unreleased new track, maybe to make
> available more psb tracks in one disc, that's what i
> think

Quite. The fan uproar is completely unfounded given the inconsistent nature
of the Disco series...

Disco - Great, but I think at the time only featured one otherwise
unavailable remix of an old B side.
Disco 2 - Included nothing new or previously unreleased and used some
terrible mixes (and mixing).
Disco 3 - Fairly patchy but did include much new material but also old
tracks and arguably some bad mixes.
Disco 4 - Some good, some bad and one exclusive remix.

I think the Boys look at the Disco series as a spin off series of albums (as
we should), something separate to their main body of work, a tool for
releasing material unsuitable for regular releases. They are for collectors
and fans and that's all. Only Disco and Disco 2 had singles, and they also
served as promotion for Please and Very. It's now well over a year since
Fundamental so it would be pointless releasing Integral now because
Fundamental isn't a current album (there's even been Concrete and two DVDs
since) and Disco 4 doesn't warrant a single. Of course I would LIKE it to
happen but it never really seemed likely in today's chart climate.

Personally I think they could've held off on Fundamentalism and released
that now as Disco 4. Instead we have both, so no complaints from me.

JPC