[Introspective] Fundamental Chicago - PaulDj is back!

Paolo Bientinesi pauldj at cs.utexas.edu
Sat Oct 28 10:33:32 PDT 2006

Ciao everybody,

I don't even remember how many years ago I sent my last message to
Introspective... well, I assume not very many people recognize me anymore
(the vice versa is also true). Maybe someone from Somewhere remembers me?

Well, I used to be an hardcore PSB collector, until I moved from Italy to the
US. Here for a number of reasons I kept following the Boys, but I had har
time keeping up with the collecting part. In the meanwhile I have been
casually looking at the decline of Introspective. Decline that is very
natural: back in the 90s we all were very active and in our 20s. Now it's
much harder to devote time to the cause. I remember initially we used to say:
it's easy to be active when the band we support produces, releases and tours.
It's much more difficult when a group is not on a roll anymore. Well, this is
clearly not the case, because despite the fact the Fundamental is a f...ing
awesome tour, this list is equally f...ing quiet.

So, let's get to the point. Fundamental @ Chicago.

I spent 6.5 years in TX. Never seen the PSB around. I just moved to North
Carolina and guess what?? 3 dates in Texas..  I WAS SO DAMN PISSED...
But well, I took the opportunity to celebrate my bday (yesterday) to go to the
Chicago gig. That's what real fans do, right?

Ok, 260$ for two seats in a booth in the mezzanine.
Result: 2 hours of extasy, worth every cent.

The show is simply fantastic. The crowd (not just me) loved it.
Great song selection and tracklist (the order). Scenography was fun, a few
more dancers on stage would have improved the transfer of energy from the
stage to the crowd, but that was ok. Neil did a very good job at setting up
the audience and the songs and the awesome beats really truly rocked the
ground floor.
I was quite impressed to see the Chicago Theatre (massive and posh!) sold out.

I read some review a few days ago from someone complaining about Chris and the
loss of momentum because of the song selection. I have no idea what this guy
was talking about. Chris plays his part (it's now 20 years that he plays the
same part, with very few exceptions) standing behing some keyboard/monitor,
doing pretty much nothing. As for the songs, being a dj myself, I can tell
you that the track order was masterfully chosen. The first part was a
crescendo. People loved it. Then one slow song after the break and then back
to dancing with Sa Vida E. And then ups and down, but never abrupt. Some of
the tracks where even mixed together, almost conveying a club/dj set touch to
the concert. Plus, in several occasions, the beats were set up to trick the
audience, making us believe that a song was over, just to start full blast
again. Again, people loved all of this.

By now the Boys have sooooo many incredible tracks to chose from that they
can't go wrong. They even left out Being Boring, universally recognized as
one of their bestest songs, and I guess nobody noticed (except for the truly
hard core fans like me, I suppose). The concert was mainly high-energy, and
the obviously insisting on the gay factor, culminating with the Go West grand
finale. The crowd was also predominantly gay, so that worked perfectly.
Also, in these past years I was under the impression that Neil's voice was
getting weaker and weaker and he would need more and more support singers to
back him up. Last night that was not the case. Sure there were backup
singers, but his voice would always stand out.

I just can't stress enough how much fun this concert is. I recommend it as
much as possible: a floor seat to dance, a higher seat to just sit and suck
it all in, in any case enjoying a fabulous show.

As Neil put it introducing Chris and himself: "we are still the Pet Shop
Boys". And I'm sooooo glad about this.

Ciao!

P.S.: Starting Monday, I'm back to collecting.
--
Paolo Bientinesi

pauldj at cs.duke.edu                 paolo.bientinesi at iit.cnr.it

--