[Introspective] Playing the Performance DVD in North America

psbfan psbfan at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 2 13:18:19 PDT 2004

I know that this has been discussed here before, but I figured I might add
my personal experience.

I received in the mail about two hours ago my copy of the U.K. Performance
DVD, which I ordered exactly one week ago from Amazon.uk. I immediately
popped it into my Region 1 DVD player and, despite the fact that it's
supposed to be an "all-region" DVD, my DVD player *wouldn't* play it. I was
thinking that it might play but have poor picture quality or even no
picture at all because of the PAL format, but it wouldn't play, period.

I then booted up my computer and put the disc in the DVD drive. And it
plays perfectly there! I have full access to all of the features. So with a
decent-sized monitor and stereo speakers, it's almost as good as watching
it on my big TV set. (Note, I said "almost." For one thing, my computer
desk chair isn't nearly as comfortable as my living room recliner. ;-)

So until an NTSC version comes out -- assuming one *does* come out -- this
is the next best thing. And in my book that ain't bad at all. Not as good
as it can get, to be sure, but not bad. Unless a Canadian and/or U.S.
version comes out sometime within the next month or two and you're willing
to wait for it, I would encourage my fellow North American fans -- at least
those who have computers that can play DVDs -- to spring for the U.K.
version. It's definitely worth it. And bravo to the Boys for an all-around
classy DVD.

I hope this helps. Thanks for listening!