[Introspective] Metropolis Mastering Acetates (3)

Aloysius Fairbanks aloysius_fairbanks at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 18:03:47 PST 2004

This isn't about the money.  As somebody else stated, there ARE costs involved with things like this.  CD-Rs *are* very cheap - postage is relatively inexpensive and the padded envelopes don't cost a great deal.  Where the costs to me enter is with my time.  I have to drive 25 miles to Wal-Mart to buy all of the materials and then another 25 to come home.  THEN I have to go through the ordeal of making the product for people (it takes 20-25 minutes to burn a set).  I ALWAYS TEST every track on EVERY cd just to be certain that I'm sending out something that works.  I won't even mention how I have to TAKE THEM TO THE POST OFFICE and actually mail them.

People seem to believe that I'm raking in stellar profits on cd-rs and quite truthfully, the amount of money I have left over after expenses, etc. is minimal.  Anything left over is being tithed to a local soup kitchen anyway!!

The difference between ME and OTHER PEOPLE is that other people would lie and deceive to make huge amounts of cash based on this material.  If the average PSB fan watches ebay, they'll see the SAME stuff on cd-r copies going for ENORMOUS amounts of money.  Just the other day a knock-off Break 4 Love set of cd-rs was sold for over 40 pounds!!!  And those things were just copies with a fancy label!  I could EASILY make up my own discs like this and extort loads of money from people but I won't do it...

Furthermore, NOBODY ELSE was offering these to people.  The so-called "elite" have them but do they willingly offer rare stuff to other, casual fans?  No...they hoard it up and protect it and share among themselves.  Steffen Gaertner had these listed in the Discography for MANY MONTHS, but did he offer to share them?  No.  It wasn't until I pissed him off that he offered them to people in his post today.

If something comes along that I think people might like to have as well, I share my good fortune with them and at least offer it.  I'm not in a position to maintain an FTP site, and the FairbanksPSB group only offered 20MB for files...  I had no other choice but to offer these as cd-rs in order to share with other fans.

I've said my peace.  The last batch of orders are going out at the end of the week and after that, I'm finished with the lot.

Jon Masciana <jmasciana at earthlink.net> wrote:
He didn't charge an unreasonable price for CD-r copies, and I think we
should all be thankful that he offered them to the list.

I also don't understand why people need to be "elitist" about collecting...
we're all very excited about anything that the pet shop boys release.