[Introspective] Re: can you help [off-topic]

James Lick jlick at drivel.com
Sun Sep 21 21:46:00 PDT 2003

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Marcin Wichary wrote:
> So... While Mark might not have had behaved nicely with all
> the attitude and shouting, I think it's not a good idea to
> ban him. Extending such policy won't result in anything other
> than random banning of innocent people.

Just to make it clear, he demanded to be removed in the message I replied
to the list with.  I only included the list because he indicated that he
would be making it a public issue on his website.

Before his outburst I had blocked a single message from his address which
contained a virus.  When he requested an explanation, I provided one which
I thought was appropriate and non-accusatory.  As you pointed out, anyone
can forge email from anyone else, and viruses do this as a matter of
course.  I said as much in my initial reply, and only advised checking his
own virus software as a precaution.  He chose to take this advice as some
sort of an affront and accused my system security of being deficient. In
fact, that the virus was blocked from the list proves the opposite.

He's welcome back at any time he's willing to act like an adult and not
take offense when none was intended.  His removal was completely at his
own request, and it is up to him to decide if he wants to rejoin this
forum.  So far I have not heard from him further on the matter.

--- James Lick --- 黎建溥 --- jlick at drivel.com --- http://drivel.com.tw/ ---