[Introspective] Re: can you help [off-topic]

Marcin Wichary mwichary at aci.com.pl
Sat Sep 20 22:16:10 PDT 2003

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but with the
recent outbreaks of worms/viruses that forge e-mail addresses,
almost everyone can look like they're supposedly sending viruses
-- it is enough to be in someone else's address book! (and who
isn't?)

It's just the way these worms operate and is a byproduct of
not very secure way the SMTP protocol works. No amount of virus
protection or system updating can prevent this because it's
in fact someone else who is sending the viral e-mails!

So... While Mark might not have had behaved nicely with all
the attitude and shouting, I think it's not a good idea to
ban him. Extending such policy won't result in anything other
than random banning of innocent people.

     Marcin Wichary
e:\> mwichary at aci.com.pl
w:\> www.aci.com.pl/mwichary >> Attached